A bread knife is a crucial tool next to your chef knife, slicing knife and paring knife. Or more to say, a compulsory one for home cooks looking to make the most out of cooking. Bread knives have pointed teeth that create downward pressure thus biting into the bread crust. The serrations help reduce friction by creating a sawing action that cuts through the bread. Apart from cutting bread, you can also use your knife to slice through a ripe tomato skin without destroying it.
These knives are also ideal for cutting tough winter squash and thick skinned melons because their teeth can easily cruise via hard, resistant peels. There are many other uses of a knife designed to cut bread, including leveling the tender and delicate layers of a cake. In this article, we will discuss all there is to know about the best bread knife and also recommend the 12 best bread knives on the market today.
- 1 Best Bread Knife 2018 Reviews
- 1.1 Zwilling J.A. Heckles Euroline Damascus 9-inch Knife
- 1.2 Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch Bread knife
- 1.3 Shun Classic DM0705 9-Inch Bread Knife
- 1.4 Global G-9 8.75-Inch Bread Knife
- 1.5 Wusthof Classic Ikon 8-inch Bread Knife
- 1.6 Wusthof classic 10 inch Bread Knife
- 1.7 DALSTRONG – Shogun Series Bread Knife
- 1.8 Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S 8-inch Knife
- 1.9 ZELITE INFINITY 10-inch Comfort- Pro Series Bread Knife
- 1.10 DALSTRONG Gladiator Series 10-inch Bread Knife
- 1.11 ORBLUE Stainless Steel Serrated Bread Knife
- 1.12 Mercer Culinary M2310 Millennia 10-Inch Bread Knife
- 2 Tips on How to Choose the Best Bread Knife
- 3 How to Sharpen a Bread Knife
Best Bread Knife 2018 Reviews
To find the best bread knife we have spent over 150 hours of testing and researching all bread knives found in this review.
Zwilling J.A. Heckles Euroline Damascus 9-inch Knife
The Zwilling J.A. Heckles Euroline Damascus 9-inch Knife is one of the top rated bread knives on the market today. Crafted by the famous master bladesmith Bob Kramer, this knife boasts a stainless steel blade that is made to Bobs exacting standards to ensure maximum balance and utility. The blade is wide enough to allow for maximum knuckle clearance, making it comfortable for people with larger hands and those cutting via large piles of food and produce. The wide blade also makes it easy for you to transport chopped foods.
Hand finished by skilled Japanese artisans using a three-step traditional process, this bread knife will maintain its incredible sharpness for long. The blade is made from the SG2 micro carbide powder steel and ice hardened using the CRYODUR process to produce a razor-like sharpness and endure sharpening throughout its lifetime.
The SG2 micro carbide steel is covered by a remarkably appealing 100-layer Chevron Damascus pattern. The blade is affixed to a beautiful black linen Micarta handle that is comfortable to hold. The handle features a stunning Bob Kramer mosaic pin that further compliments its beauty.
The knife has scalloped serration for easy cutting, minimizing tearing and crumbs as well as maintaining lasting sharpness. When combined, the scalloped serration and blade length allow for enhanced performance when cutting via large loaves.
Pros & Cons of the Zwilling J.A. Heckles Euroline Damascus 9-inch
- Crafted by the famous master bladesmith Bob Kramer
- Handcrafted by skilled Japanese artisans using the tradition 3-step process
forged from a sin
- Single piece of straight SG2 super steel for maximum durability and incredible sharpness
beautiful and comfortable Mircarta handle
- Unique western full tang design
- Long, sturdy blade with a scalloped edge and long prongs to cut and slice bread smoothly
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- It cannot be put in a dishwasher
- The knife comes with a high retail price, but this is due to its exceptional features
Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch Bread knife
The Miyabi Birchwood Bread knife is made from the G2 micro-carbide steel. The steel is made up of 101 layers and is complimented with a beautiful Damascus design. The Damascus design consists of 50 lawyers on both sides of the knife.
For extra hardness, the blade is Cryodur ice-hardened to enhance its flexibility and corrosion resistance features. It is bejeweled with a beautiful Birchwood D-shaped handle that is further complemented with a sophisticated mosaic pin, accentuated with two red spacers and an incised end cap. This gives the knife a nice-looking appearance which adds to the equally beautiful razor-like blade.
The Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch knife is hand finished using the 3-step Honbazuke method to produce a striking mirror polished edge. On both sides of the knife, there is a Katana edge that is resultant of the renowned Chinese swords that are known for splendid craftsmanship. The handle is hewed from extremely precious materials.
Just like other Miyabi knives, this knife is skillfully designed and hewed by Samurai sword artisans in Seki, Japan. These master artisans combine the rich Japanese knife making traditions with outstanding steel and recent technology to design the knife. It takes 100 or more steps and 42 days to make one Miyabi knife. The knife comes with a limited manufacturer warranty.
Pros & Cons of Miyabi Birchwood SG2
- 9-inch blade make it ideal for slicing bread, cakes and tough skins of fruits
- 101 layers of Damascus flower design with a katana edge
- The unique ice hardening process creates an extremely durable blade that holds its sharp edge for long
- G2 micro-carbide steel materials gives a superb sharpness
- Traditional 3-step Honbazuke method results in extreme hardness and added sharpness
- Karelian Birchwood handle with a D-shape grid makes the knife comfortable to handle
- Rockwell hardness rating of 63
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Cryodur hardened for enhanced durability
- It retails at a higher price but this is due to its many outstanding features
Shun Classic DM0705 9-Inch Bread Knife
The Shun Classic DM0705 9-Inch Bread Knife features a VG10 steel with a beautiful Damascus-clad stainless steel. Its handle is D-shaped and made of ebony Pakkawood. Attached to the ebony Pakkawood handle is a fine stainless bolster that allows you to gently cut forth and back your favorite food without squelching it.
The knife comes with a double-bevel, 16-degree convex, 9-inch blade. The blade has 34 layers on its both sides and is made using the Kasumi knife making method. This results in an incredibly scalpel-like edge and remains sharp for long.
The Shun Classic DM0705 9-Inch is precisely serrated, making it easy for you to make nice slices every time you use it. The serrations prevent the knife from crushing or tearing food when slicing foods. The scalloped edges allow you to produce smooth crump-free cuts of bread slices. The knife weighs 76.2 ounces and has an overall length of 14.5 inches, making it easy to slice loaves and ripe fruits.
Just like other Shun Classic knives, the DM0705 knife maintains its incredible sharpness for long. Though the knife is dishwasher safe, hand washing is recommended to maintain its amazing features and striking appearance.
Pros & Cons of the Shun Classic DM0705 9-Inch
- Clad with 16 layers of steel on each side for maximum strength and durability
- Durable D-shaped Pakkawood handle makes the knife comfortable to use
- Stainless steel blade with serrated edge that prevents tearing of bread during slicing
- 9-inch serrated scalloped blade for cutting loaves, cakes and ripe fruits
- Rockwell hardness rating 60 to 61
- Made in Seki, Japan the capital of Samurai Sword manufacturing
- Damascus styling gives the knife an appealing appearance and creates air spaces that help to reduce friction while slicing.
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Hand wash recommended, it cannot be put into the dishwasher
- The knife can easily break if its dropped
Global G-9 8.75-Inch Bread Knife
The Global G-9 8.75-inch Knife has a lightweight blade that is crafted from a single-piece of high grade CROMOVA 18 stainless steel. The blade is serrated to make it easy to slice breads and cake. It has a scalloped edge to enhance triangulation into hard crusts. The cutting edge of the knife retains its sharpness precisely well, meaning you don’t have to sharpen the knife regularly.
The G9 knife for bread has a unique seamless construction between its handle and blade. The hollow handle is filled with sand to enhance the balance of the knife. It is ergonomically designed and features a dimple patterns to make it slip resistant, comfortable and ideal for repetitive slicing. The handle, complemented with an attractive global signature is designed to make the steel blade better for mesmerizing.
The G9 knife weighs 0.318kgs and has dimensions of 10 inches by height, 3.0inches width and 2.0 inches length. It is crafted by hand in Niigata, Japan. Just like other Global G9 knives, this bread knife is manufactured to extremely high and exacting international standards. It comes with a lifetime limited manufacturer warranty.
Pros & Cons of the Global G-9 8.75-Inch
- Made from CROMOVA 18 stainless steel which lightweight hence you will not fatigue while using it
- Hollow handle is filled with sand for a better balance
- Blade is made of high-tech Molybdenum stainless steel that makes it resistant to rusting and corrosion
- Stainless steel handle is molded for enhanced comfort. It is also dimpled for a safe grip
- Cutting edge retains razor sharpness precisely well
- Seamless construction between its handle and blade is unitary
- Lifetime limited manufacturer warranty
- Poor storage leads to a dull cutting edge. Avoid using the knife on metallic or stone surface to retain its incredible sharp edge.
- Not dishwasher safe. Manufacturer recommends that you wash the knife using warm soapy water
Wusthof Classic Ikon 8-inch Bread Knife
The Wusthof Classic Ikon 8-Inch Bread Knife crafted from a one piece of high quality stainless steel for maximum strength and heft. The knife is made in Solingen, Germany and is fully balanced and well ground for easy cutting. It is hand crafted using the western style design for better strength and durability.
The blade is precisely refined via Wusthof Trademark Computer-controlled refining process to create an exceptionally sharp cutting edge. Since the blade is made of stainless steel, it is resistant to both corrosion and rust. The fact that the blade is sharpened using the PEtec cutting technology creates a razor-like edge that helps you to glide via both soft and tough breads.
The Wusthof classic Ikon 8 inch knife for slicing bread has an ergonomic and slip-resistant Polyoxymethylene handle that is not only comfortable but also resistance to fading and discoloration. The seamless triple-riveted handle features a full tang to give the knife a better balance.
The Wusthof classic knife compared to stamped cutlery. The tang of this forged knife extends into the handle to improve the balance and ergonomics. The knife is serrated along the edge to direct the knife through tough crusts without compressing the soft part inside.
Pros & Cons of the Wusthof Classic Ikon
- Full tang triple riveted to the handle for extreme control
- 8-inch serrated blade makes it ideal for slicing all bread types including artisans, and also cutting large fruits like pineapples
- Rockwell hardness rating of 58 gives the blade an excellent edge retention
- Ergonomic Polyoxymethylene handle resists fading and discoloration
- Crafted from high-carbon stain resistant steel complemented with a bolster
- Laser controlled cutting edge to ensure the final edge of the blade is uniform from the tip to the heel of the knife
- Limited Lifetime manufacturer warranty
- It is serrated on one the right side only making it a bit difficult for use by left handed people.
- However, the company is currently inaugurating knives with left serrations into market
Wusthof classic 10 inch Bread Knife
Crafted in Solingen, Germany, you can be rest assured that the knife has many outstanding features. It is incredibly sharp and comes with a longer blade size of 10 inches to cut through both crusty and soft breads as well as cakes and other pastries. Its blade is made of high carbon steel that is guaranteed to last long and maintain its sturdiness and cutting edge.
The Wusthof classic 10 inch knife has a serrated blade. The blade is laser sharpened and hand-honed to create a razor-like edge. It is heavy to allow for smooth slicing of both hard and soft bread without squashing the soft part inside.
The Wusthof Classic 10-inch knife boasts a black handle crafted from a synthetic material. The handle is triple riveted to full tang to allow for a seamless and sanitary lift. The full tang of this forged knife extends into the handle to boost the balance and also ergonomics.
The Wusthof classic 10-inch knife is skillfully hand crafted to create outstanding strength, balance and durability. This exceptional knife for slicing bread offers you lasting sharpness compared to stamped cutlery.
Pros & Cons of the Wusthof Classic 10 inch
- Made from high quality stainless steel to help retain a sharp edge for a long time
- Has a bolster that acts as a protective divider between your hand and the blade
- The full tang that forms the blade extends to the end of the handle for maximum strength and durability
- The blade of the knife has outstanding sharpness which is easy to maintain
- The knife is forged from high tempered carbon steel to ensure an exceptional durability
- The strong blade enhances easy slicing crusts of both hard and soft bread without cuddling the soft inside
- Cannot be put into a dishwasher
- It comes with a larger blade size which is not ideal for beginner chefs
DALSTRONG – Shogun Series Bread Knife
DALSTRONG -Shogun Series Knife is thoroughly crafted for more than 60 days using the highest quality materials. The artisans of this luxurious knife combine the ancient Japanese sword making technique and the modern technology to create an exceptional bread knife.
The blade of the knife has a razor-like sharpness and is set at 8-12 degrees on both sides. It has a Rockwell hardness rating of about 62 giving the knife incredible edge retention. The edge of the knife is hand finished using the ancient 3-step Honbazuke technique. The blade is nitrogen-cooled for better hardness, corrosion resistance and flexibility.
The blade is affixed to an AG-10 handle for enhanced strength and longevity. The handle is Ergonomic-shaped for precise hand control, swiftness and ease of use. This handle is impermeable to heat, cold and moistness. An elaborate copper mosaic that increases its striking nature further complements it.
The Dalstrong knife for bread has serrated edges and is packed together with a polishing cloth. A Wonderful gift packaging is also included. The knife has a lifetime warranty
Pros & Cons of the DALSTRONG Shogun Series
- AG-10 handle for enhanced strength and longevity
- Tampered blade for minimal slicing resistance and non-stick properties
- 10.25-inch strong blade promotes thin slicing while the geometrical serrations are crafted for minimal dispersion of bread crumbs
- The ultra- sharp VG-10 Japanese super steel cutting core with a 62 Rockwell hardness rating promotes extreme performance and edge retention
- Blade is nitrogen-cooled for increased rigidity, flexibility and resistance to corrosion
- Full tang for splendid toughness and enhanced balance
- Triple riveted for more flexibility
- Lifetime warranty
- It comes with a higher retail price when compared to other bread knives, but this is because of its unique
- The 10-inch blade is not ideal for beginner chefs
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S 8-inch Knife
Made of a special formula steel that has been perfected for over 280 years, the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro S 8-inch Knife is one of the most trusted knives for precise slicing fruits, bread and meat. The special arched bolster was designed by Matte Thun to allow for a perfect thumb grip to allow you to sharpen the entire cutting edge from the tip to the end.
The blade of the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro S 8-inch Knife is precision forged using the Zwilling’s SigmaForge process. This results in a hard and flexible blade. The blade is further ice hardened using the Zwilling Friodur Ice hardening method for maximum sharpness and corrosion resistance properties. Precision lasers are used to make sure that the cutting edge is at an optimal cutting angle for razor-like sharpness.
The ergonomic black polypropylene handle is triple-riveted for maximum durability. It is also contoured to enhance comfort. Just like other Zwilling Knives, the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro S 8-inch Bread Knife has the J.A Henckels logo to showcase its superior quality to professionals and serious home cooks.
Pros & Cons of the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro 8-inch
- Made from a single piece of special formula steel for enhanced hardness
- Cutting edge sharpened to 15 degrees on each side for incredible sharpness
- Contoured triple-riveted black polypropylene handle for maximum durability and comfort
- Ice hardened using the Friodur technique for razor-like sharpness, flexibility and corrosion resistance
- Laser controlled edge and precision honed blade ensure ideal cutting edge for outstanding sharpness and longevity
- Rockwell hardness rating of 57 gives it an excellent edge retention
- Arched bolster design with a soft transition to the bade for enhanced safety, balance and firm thumb support
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Made in Solingen, Germany
- Though the knife is dishwasher safe, the manufacturer recommends that you hand was with warm soapy water to avoid damaging it.
- Requires regular honing to maintain its sharpness
ZELITE INFINITY 10-inch Comfort- Pro Series Bread Knife
The ZELITE INFINITY 10-inch Comfort- Pro Series knife is an important cutlery for any home and professional kitchen. It is a full-tang scalpel-sharp Multi-purpose knife suitable for slicing Crusty breads, cakes and fruits with tough skins. It has a nominal slicing resistance and a satisfying weight.
The knife is made from ThyssenKrupp High Carbon stainless steel to ensure top lasting performance and resistance to rust, corrosion and stain. It boasts an extra-sharp scalloped, wavy tooth, thin-edge 18-degrees blade that rarely requires sharpening. This promotes a long lasting slicing performance. The blade has 56 Rockwell hardness rating which means it’s hard and features outstanding edge retention. The long 10-inch blade gives you a precise cutting power.
The Zelite Infinity Bread Knife has a forged rounded Black Handle with a sporadic tapered Bolster to provide for a perfect balance and extreme control. The knife is crafted to fit your palm. It has a risk free 15-year warranty though this warranty is valid only if Zelite Infinity sells the knife
Pros & Cons of the ZELITE INFINITY 10-inch Comfort- Pro Series
- It is a multi-purpose full-tang scalpel-sharp knife ideal for soft fruits, cutting crusty Breads and cakes
- Its blade is made of stainless steel hence resistant to rust and corrosion
- Extra-long to offer you precise cutting power
- Perfectly balanced to give you ultimate robustness and full control when slicing
- It is designed to fit your palm
- Its large rounded handle provides precise comfort and control hence boosting pleasure while using your knife
- The exemplary packaging of the knife makes it ideal for gifting
- 15-year warranty
- The 15 year warranty is valid only if the knife is sold by the ZELITE INFINITY company
- Long blade means this knife is not ideal for beginner chefs
DALSTRONG Gladiator Series 10-inch Bread Knife
DALSTRONG Gladiator Series 10-inch Bread Knife is precisely forged with a single piece of high carbon ThyssenKrupp German steel at a 55 Rockwell hardness. The knife is manufactured from premium materials with extraordinary artisanship. It is crafted with an extreme cutting edge technology and striking design elements.
This Gladiator Series 10-inch Knife comes with a black Pakkawood handle that is triple-riveted for enhanced durability. The handle is ergonomically designed to promote comfort and maneuverability. It is also veneered and sophisticated for a hygienic build. A mirror polished further complements the handle, finger protective bolster. The bolster enhances a precise fixed balance with the correct heft.
The blade has exceptional scalpel-like sharpness. It features geometrically-angled serrations to promote effortless neat, precise and thin slicing with a single stroke. This also enhances minimal crumb dispersion when slicing bread and smooth cutting of boneless ham, fruits and vegetables.
The DALSTRONG Gladiator Series 10-inch Knife for slicing bread is sold with an additional BPA free polymer Sheath for its sharp blade. It also comes with 1 polishing cloth, 1 full color Guide Booklet and an Attractive Gift packaging.
Pros & Cons of the DALSTRONG Gladiator Series 10-inch
- Precisely fixed serrations at 18 degrees on each side promote superb sharp cutting with just a single stroke
- Tampered design for enhanced flexibility and hardness
- The 10-inch blade length allows for slicing of large cakes and breads
- The blade is stain and rust resistant
- Ergonomic handle shape ensures comfort and grip
- Laminated Pakkawood handles for super strength
- Triple-riveted for enhanced durability
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Has an included BPA free protective Dalstrong PerfectFit sheath
- Highly priced, but this is due to its amazing features
- 10-inch blade makes unsuitable for beginner chefs
ORBLUE Stainless Steel Serrated Bread Knife
The ORBLUE Stainless Steel Serrated Knife is one of the top performing bread knives on market today. It is multipurpose that can be used to accomplish various tasks at home or in professional kitchen. It is crafted from stainless steel hence has incredibly high long-lasting, striking look. Furthermore, it does not diminish easily.
The ORBLUE 12-inch Bread Knife is crafted from a single piece of high carbon stainless, giving it exceptional durability and exceptional rust resistance features. Furthermore, the blade has an ultra-serrated edge that allows it to grip and cut bread without squashing its softer inside. It is 2.2mm thick to minimize friction. This results in a better and uniform slicing action
Unlike most bread knives, the ORBLUE 12-inch Knife does not have any plastic or wooden parts that would wear off easily to ensure that it lasts a lifetime.
The ORBLUE Stainless Serrated Knife has a total length of 12.79 inches, making it ideal for slicing large loaves and fruits. Its handle takes 4.9 inches of the total length so that you good grip regardless of the size of your hands .The total weight of this exceptional knife is at least 5.6 ounces.
Pros & Cons of the ORBLUE Stainless Steel Serrated
- Multi-purpose thus ideal for not only bread and cake cutting, but slicing fruits with tough skins
- Extremely sharp serrated edge that grips and cuts quickly with no tearing
- No wood or plastic parts which would otherwise wear off easily
- 8- Inches long blade allows you to slice through breads with thick crust easily
- The2.2mm thick blade reduces friction and provides for better uniform slices
- It comes with a very affordable price
- It is not as sharp as other bread knives in the same class
Mercer Culinary M2310 Millennia 10-Inch Bread Knife
The Mercer Culinary M2310 Millennia 10-Inch Bread Knife is crafted from the best quality X30Cr13 high carbon stainless steel. This gives it exceptional resistant to corrosion, discoloration and rust.
The knife has an Ergonomic handle which is black in color. It is skillfully crafted from a mixture of Santoprene and Polypropylene plastics that are crucial in their different ways. Santoprene offers a comfortable grip while polypropylene ensures it lasts long. The handle is further crafted with molded textured finger points that offer a slip resistance grip.
The 10-Inch wavy serrated blade of this knife is easy to maintain and sharpen to a scalpel-sharp edge. The blade is ideal for cutting bread, vegetables and fruits that juice and bruise easily. Being an international product, the knife meets the standards set by NSF, which focuses on public safety and environment. To preserve the quality of this remarkable knife, it is recommendable that you only hand-wash it.
Pros & Cons of the Mercer Culinary M2310 Millennia 10-Inch
- The high quality Japanese steel offers easy edge maintenance and rapid sharpening
- The knife has textured finger points that offers slip resistance and fine grip
- Ergonomic handle made of Santoprene for enhance comfort and Polypropylene for durability
- Molded textured finger points offer a slip resistance grip
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Protective finger guard
- Crafted from quality 2CR13 stainless steel that offers the blade a smooth and clear grain finish
- Long blade makes it unsuitable for starters
- Does not retain its edge for long, requires regular sharpening
Tips on How to Choose the Best Bread Knife
There are many companies that manufacturer serrated blades. It is important that you take into account some factors when choosing your bread knife. Here are some valuable tips on how to choose the best.
Tip 1: Know the Different Types of Blade Edges
The cutting success of any bread knife depends on the uniqueness of the blade. A good knife should have a long, thin blade with jagged or scalloped teeth that are designed to cut via hard crusty bread effortless without crushing it. Bread knives have two major types of edges: Serrated edge and scalloped edge.
- Serrated Edge: A serrated edge resembles that of a saw and has razor sharp teeth that are measured per inch or TPI. The number of teeth range from 41, 35 or 33, depending on the length of the blade. It is recommendable that you go for a knife with more teeth so you can enjoy a smoother cutting action.
- Scalloped Edge: Bread knives have different types of scalloped edges. Some scalloped blades have rounded edges on the tips of their teeth while others have sharper points on their teeth. Scalloped blades with rounded edges are perfect for cutting soft bread, meats, vegetables and fruits. Scalloped blades with sharper points on their teeth are ideal for cutting crusty loaves.
Tip 2: Consider Types of Blades
When choosing a bread knife, it’s important to consider the shape of the blade. There are typically four types of blades.
- Off-set Blade: Off-set bread knives have blades set to be between 1 and 2 inches below the handle. This ensures that your knuckles do not graze against the board as you cut through bread.
- Curved edge Blades: Curved blades help you to cut down through thick and dense breads. Knives with curved edges can be used to cut large pieces of fruits. They allow you to keep your eye on the cutting action of the blade as it cuts through the bread.
- Rounded Edge Blades: Bread knives with round edges help you to precisely slice all sizes of loaves, fruits and vegetables. They provide a high cutting action regardless of whether you are cutting thin or thick slices of bread.
- Pointed Blades: Bread knives with pointed blades are ideal cutting and piercing through thick breads. You can also use them to cut ripe fruits and vegetables that have tough skins, such as melons and pineapples.
Tip 3: Go For a Balanced Knife
To ascertain the balance of the knife, it is recommended to hold the knife in your hands. This will help you to know whether the bread knife is too heavy or too light to use. The weight of the knife goes hand in hand with its balance. If the weight is more on one side, cutting bread with such a knife will be a bit difficult for you. If you have no earlier experience with bread knives, you can request your friends to help you determine if the knife is balanced or not.
Tip 4: Consider the Flexibility of the Blade
The best bread knife should have a solid and static blade that is immovable. If you are to use the blade for other purposes such as cutting tough meat and vegetables, it is advisable to choose a strong immovable knife. This will help you to perform your kitchen chores without strain or fear of the knife snapping.
Tip 5: Select a Knife that Maintains its Sharpness for Long
It is essential to consider the degree of sharpness of the knife. It is also recommendable to consider how long it can maintain its sharpness. A dull knife makes it difficult to cut bread moreover; it is easier to harm yourself with a dull knife than a sharp knife.
How to Sharpen a Bread Knife
Bread knives with curved serrated blades cut well and can maintain their sharpness for a long time. However, they also become dull with time and may require sharpening. That fact that these knives are use more frequently makes them lose their cutting ability fast. Most people think that it is harder to sharpen serrated knives than straight edged knives. In fact, some people eventually end up not sharpening them. Here are the valuable steps to follow when sharpening
Step 1: Clean the Knife
Before sharpening your bread knife, clean it with warm soapy water to removal particles, such as bread cramps, vegetable and fruit remains. Sharpening your knife with these particles on its surface will not only destroy your sharpening tool, but will also lead to ineffective sharpening session
Step 2: Clean Your Sharpening Tool
There is no sense in cleaning your knife and failing to clean your sharpening tool, since the two go together. Your sharpening tool could have accumulated small particles such as steel during the last sharpening session. This may make it less effective in sharpening. Therefore, is advisable you clean your tool with soap and rinse it with clean water. Remember to dry it before using it.
Step 3: Identify the Side to be sharpened
Look for the side where the serration has been set and grind it against your honing steel. In most cases, this side is usually on the right side of the knife when you are holding its handle.
Step 4: Use Your Sharpening Tool
To sharpen your bread knife, lay it on a flat surface with the side to be sharpened facing up. Run your tool through all the serrations while holding it at an obtuse or slanted angle.
Step 5: Rinse the Knife
This last step helps to get rid of the shredded steel particles. Simply rinse the knife in water and wipe it with a clean dry piece of cloth.