Any modern kitchen is incomplete without the best carving knife and slicing knife. A carving or slicing blade helps you to slice fish and meats, such as beef, pork, poultry and ham. It features a narrower and thinner appearance, especially at the spine to allow you to cut very thin and accurate slices.
Slicing and carving knives were discovered many years ago when metal was first discovered. The knives have evolved rapidly over the years. Today, slicing and carving knives are not only stronger, but also incredibly sharp and highly durable. They come with a straight edge instead of a serrated edge. The only difference between a slicing and carving knife is the size of the blade. A carving knife usually has a thinner and shorter blade than a slicing knife. However, both knives are usually longer than the normal chef knife.
In this article, we will discuss all the important details you need to know about the best carving and slicing knives and then recommend the best carving and slicing knives on the market today. All of this for you to buy the best kitchen knives for your needs.
- 1 Why should You Buy a Carving or Slicing Knife?
- 2 Best Carving Knife Types
- 3 What to Look For in the Best Carving and Slicing Knife
- 4 Top 5 Slicing Knives on the Market Today
- 5 Best Japanese Slicing Knife
- 5.1 TUO Yanagiba 10.5 Inch Sashimi Sushi Japanese Slicing Knife
- 5.2 Cangshan J Series 62793 Japan VG-10 Forged Sashimi 12-inch Chef Knife
- 5.3 Global 12-Inch Yanagi Sashimi Sushi Knife
- 5.4 Yoshihiro NSW 46 Layers Hammered Damascus Japanese Sushi Sashimi 9.5 Inch Knife
- 5.5 Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch Slicing Knife
- 6 Best Carving Knife on the Market Today
- 7 Final Verdict
Why should You Buy a Carving or Slicing Knife?
Though the terms carving and slicing knife are used interchangeably, there are some noticeable differences between these two types of knives.
A slicing knife has a long, narrow blade with an even width all along its depth and a round bull-nose tip. Just like a slicing knife, a carving knife has a long, narrow blade that tapers to a sharp point. Carving knives are mostly used to carve poultry or bone-in roasts, like a leg of a ham or a lamb.
Slicing knives, on the other hand are used to make even slices in the largest roasts like a boneless leg lamb or a prime rib. Their long, straight blade allows these knives to provide the capacity for multiple horizontal motions which reduces the need for downward pressure as you make the slices. Additionally, most modern slicing knives have a Granton edge with shallow divots in the face of the blade to prevent the slices of meat from attaching to the knife.
Since the nomenclature of carving and slicing knives has not yet been agreed upon, it is possible to see their labels swapped around. When compared to chef’s knives, carving and slicing knives have a longer and thinner blade for producing thin more uniform slices of meat and poultry. The knives are used in a sawing motion so as to make clean cuts. It is important to note that carving and slicing knives cannot be used for chopping.
Best Carving Knife Types
Cordless Electric Knife
Carving knives are available as either electrical or manual option; the cordless electrical knife is a knife that doesn’t have a cord. The primary aspect of a cordless electric knife is that it’s precise, powerful and easier to use.
Carving Knife for Turkey
A carving knife for turkey has special features that are meant specifically for a turkey or other poultry. A Carving knife for turkey is usually flexible, small and sharp hence gives you a small sliced meat that won’t fall apart.
Spoon Carving Knife
Spoon carving knives are used for spooning out small balls from vegetable or fruits. They are also referred as vegetable knives. They are mostly used to create a decorative dish and are highly durable.
Chip Carving Knife
Good chip carving knives will always give you smaller and creative cuts. These types of carving knives are commonly used for creating and decorating pieces of food, for example meat, fruit and vegetables
What to Look For in the Best Carving and Slicing Knife
- Type of blade
Blade is an important part of carving knives to be considered since it has a functional area where every action is being done. A blade comprises of a butt, tip and spine which is dull edge running opposite from the tip, to the sharp edge and lastly to the tang which extends into the handle. Hence making sure that every part is well constructed, sturdy and sharp.
- Construction of a Knife
It is very important to consider the construction of a knife when searching for the best carving knife. A forged carving knife is constructed using steel that is heated and hammered to create a shape that is more durable and heavier. These knives are incredibly sharp and usually difficult to sharpen. While a stamped knife is manufactured using a hydraulic press that is less expensive, less balanced and thinner than forged knife. They are become blunt quickly, but they are easy to sharpen.
- Construction of the Bolster
A bolster is a part of a knife that connects the handle and the blade. It helps to provide a good balance of a knife when using. It also helps to protect your hands and provides a safety feature that gives you a comfort when using your knife. A good carving and slicing knife should be of high quality and sturdy.
- Sharpness and Thinness
It is very important to consider the sharpness and thinness of blade when choosing your slicing and carving knife. A knife with a sharp, long and thin blade is safer is safer and faster to use. It helps to cut or carve thin even slices of meats or fish. If the blade is dull and thick, you will hard time trying to maneuver the knife. Dull knives are also unsafe to use.
- The Design of a Handle
It is important to go for a knife with a good handle that fits your hand. Choose an ergonomic handle that feels comfortable and safe in your hand. More importantly, go for a handle that is well riveted and fastened so that it lasts long. A good handle also boasts a tang about half-way down.
With a good understanding of the above factors you will certainly have an easy time when choosing the best carving and slicing knife. Below is a list of the best slicing and carving knives on the market today. We have divided the knives into three classes to allow you to choose the best one for your needs.
Top 5 Slicing Knives on the Market Today
Mercer Culinary Renaissance 11 Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife
On the top of our list is the Mercer Culinary Renaissance 11 Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife. Mercer Culinary is the leading brand in America which provides for excellent cutlery. With a stamped 3/4 tang construction, this slicing knife is specially made to bring new life to any modern kitchen. The blade is made of the high carbon German stainless steel to withstand slicing via the tough outer skin of fruits, vegetables, breads and meat.
The blade is made to resist rust corrosion as well as discoloration. For enhanced when slicing, the knife comes with a taper ground edge to allow for increased disability, long lasting sharpness and easy honing.
The Mercer Culinary Renaissance 11 Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife boasts a triple riveted Derlin handle for enhanced longevity and exceptional balance. It comes with a rounded spine for an ergonomic and comfortable grip. The bolster of the knife is shortened to expose the full blade edge and allow for easier sharpening. The full tang runs through the whole length of the handle to provide maximum balance.
Like other Mercer Culinary Renaissance knives, this knife is certified by the National Sanitary foundation and comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty. In addition, it can also withstand any kind of temperature may it be cold or hot.
Pros of the Mercer Culinary Renaissance 11 Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife
- Shortened bolster to expose full blade edge for easier sharpening
- Ergonomic, triple riveted Derlin handle for enhanced comfort
- High carbon German stainless steel with rust resistance properties
- Granton edge for easy slicing
- 3/4 tang blade running via the entire handle for increased balance
- Designed for professionals, home cooks, culinary students and alike
- Certified by the National Sanitary Foundation
- Incredible sharpness to slice via tough meats or thick crusts
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Mercer Culinary Renaissance 11 Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife
- Some Amazon customers complained that the knife is not a full handled
- The length of the knife makes it not too wobbly
TUO CUTLERY 12-inch Slicing Knife
The TUO CUTLERY 12-inch Slicing Knife is one of the top rated slicing knives under the TUO brand. The knife come with a unique modern design that made TUO CUTLERY win the China Good Design award in 2016. The curved handle has a single rivet and is tampered to enhance comfort and reduce fatigue during long periods of use. The ergonomic handle makes this knife very interesting to look at. Its unique design improves maneuverability, allowing you to have more control when cutting at certain angles.
The blade is made from high carbon Japanese 440 stainless steel that is resistant to corrosions and easy to clean. It also very flexible allowing it to zip easily via lean turkey meat, and it can easily slice a piece of foie gras away from the main the lobe. The blade has a Rockwell hardness of 58 to enhance its flexibility and slicing resistance. With a 15 degree cutting edge, you can rest assured that this knife is incredibly sharp and easy to sharpen.
The engineered design of integrating the handle and blade together and mosaic riveting make the TUO CUTLERY 12-inch Slicing Knife durable and firm to the hand. The knife also comes with a TUO TRUST, which gives 100 percent customer satisfaction or money back guarantee.
Pros of the TUO CUTLERY 12-inch Slicing Knife
- Comes with a 100 percent customer satisfaction or money back guarantee
- The blade made from high carbon Japanese 440 stainless steel for the toughest
- Handle is made of matte black resin making attractive and durable
- One piece full tang construction for ultimate strength and durable
- The 15 degree cutting edge allows the knife to maintain a razor sharp edge
- Rockwell hardness of 58 to enhance flexibility and slicing resistance
- Ergonomic handle design makes this knife interesting to look at
Cons of the TUO CUTLERY 12-inch Slicing Knife
- Some people argue that the 440 stainless steel is too light and requires constant sharpening
- The blade can easily break under intense pressure
Dalstrong Slicing Carving 12-inch Granton Edge Knife
The Dalstrong Slicing Carving 12-inch Granton Edge Knife combines outstanding and award winning craftsmanship, awe-inspiring design, cutting edge breakthrough technology and the best materials available. Just like other Dalstrong blades, this knife is beautifully forged and easy to use. The overall build quality of the knife is amazing and highly recommended for professional chefs and home cooks.
The blade is forged from high carbon ThyssenKrupp German steel and hardened to a Rockwell rating of 55 for enhanced stability. The cutting edge is hand-sharpened to angle of 16 degree peer side to provide a perfect balance between maximum resilience and achieving ultra thin slices. The blade is 12 inches long to allow for maximum knuckle clearance when chopping and prepping foods. It also flexible enough so as to get around those bones a blaze. The blade features oval shaped hollow divots on both sides to prevent food from sticking by creating air pockets. It also tampered to ensure maximum flexibility and hardness. To enhance its stain resistance properties, the blade of this knife is hand polished with chromium and satin finish.
The Dalstrong Slicing Carving 12-inch Granton Edge Knife comes with an ergonomically designed handle, making comfortable to handle and maneuver. The handle is made laminated Pakkawood making it aesthetically pleasing and durable.
Pros of the Dalstrong Slicing Carving 12-inch Granton Edge Knife
- The blade is tampered and highly flexible for easy filleting, deboning and skinning
- The cutting edge is hand sharpened to maintain a perfect balance between blade sharpness and maximum resilience
- The ergonomic handle is comfortable and reduces fatigue when used for long periods of time
- 12 inch blade allows you to prepare foods easily and chop with your hands for clearance
- The blade features oval shaped hollow divots on both side to prevent food from sticking on it
- Precision forged from high carbon German steel that is incredibly and resistance to corrosion and stains
- 100 percent satisfaction and money back guarantee
Cons of the Dalstrong Slicing Carving 12-inch Granton Edge Knife
- It retails at a very high price due to its unique, amazing features
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four 10-inch Granton Edge Knife
The Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four 10-inch Granton Edge Knife is suitable for slicing meats very thin. The granton edge helps to break the friction at the cutting edge to easy slicing large pieces of meat. The edge also prevents meat from sticking to the blade by allowing air between the blade and the sliced meat. This carving and slicing is designed to cut through all kinds of cooked meats. Slicing refers to cutting meat in the kitchen while carving refers to cutting meat on the table.
Just like other Twin Four Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives, this slicing knife is forged from a single piece of high carbon German stainless. The blade is forged using the SIGMAFORGE process to achieve a perfect geometry, high precision and enhanced stability. The tang of the blade is a full rat-rail to enhance the balance and strength of the knife. The full bolster also helps to prevent fingers from slipping on the blade when using the knife.
The handle is triple-riveted to provide a comfortable grip while using the knife. It also specially designed in a way that it comfortably fits in the hands of any user. The stainless end cap on the handle helps to provide perfect weight for optimal balance while improving comfort and safety. The knife comes with a limited manufacturer warranty and features a Rockwell hardness rating of 58.
Pros of the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four 10-inch Granton Edge Knife
- Full tang gives the knife proper balance and strength
- Blade is forged from a single piece of high carbon German stainless using the SIGMAFORGE process
- Cutting edge angle of each side is 15 degrees
- Blade is hand honed, non rusting and Friodur ice hardened to enhance resistance to pitting and corrosion
- Laser controlled blade edge with a consistent angle and extended sharpness
- Super bolster to protect fingers
- Triple riveted polypropylene handle with stainless steel cap for enhanced durability, comfort and sharpness
- Limited manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Zwilling J.A. Heckles Twin four 10-inches Granton Edge Knife
- Comes at a higher retail price
- It is not dishwasher safe
Wusthof Classic Ikon 10 inches Super Slicer
The Wusthof Classic Ikon 10 inches Super Slicer combines ergonomics, design and the well known Wusthof quality to give you a more ultimate cutting experience. The blade is precision forged from a single piece of chrome molybdenum vanadium steel. The steel extends all the way to the end of the handle to provide a boost of control as well as reduce chances of breakage. The blade is hand polished to allow for easy and smooth cutting. It boasts a granton edge that creates small airspaces to prevent foods from sticking on the blade. The fact that this slicing knife is forged from tough German stainless steel makes it incredibly sharp and extremely durable.
The contemporary handle design of the Wusthof Classic Ikon 10 inches Super Slicer has a wood grain appearance with three rivets that enhance the stability and longevity of the knife. The knife is easy to use, thanks to its well balanced handle and blade. The handle is made from a smooth plastic and is specially shaped to fit comfortably into any hand and prevent slippage either to the side further towards the blade. To keep your Wusthof Classic Ikon 10 inches Super Slicer functioning optimally for long, avoid putting it in a dishwasher. Instead, hand-wash it with warm water and dry it with a kitchen towel.
Pros of the Wusthof Classic Ikon 10 inches Super Slicer
- The laser controlled to ensure the correct cutting angle
- Partial bolster ensures you are protected while using the knife and allows for easy sharpening
- Precision forged from single piece of chrome molybdenum vanadium steel
- Contemporary black handle is triple riveted for enhanced stability and longevity
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Full tang for maximum robustness
Cons of the Wusthof Classic Ikon 10 inches Super Slicer
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Japanese Slicing Knife
TUO Yanagiba 10.5 Inch Sashimi Sushi Japanese Slicing Knife
The 10.5-inch professional Yanagiba sushi knife by TUO Cutlery is arguably the most beautiful traditional Yanagiba. The knife comes with an exotic ebony sandalwood handle that feels comfortable in the hands even after extended use. With 33 layers of beautiful Damascus steel, you will not only get a unique looking knife but also enjoy its excellent resistance to stains and corrosion. The blade undergoes a vacuum heat treatment and nitrogen cooling process to ensure you get an extreme edge retention, stain resistance and razor sharpness.
The blade also comes with a hand polished spines and an ergonomic bolster shape. It is embossed with an artistic electric spark logo and angled only from the side with the opposite portion of the blade being plane ground. This makes the knife ideal for preparing sashimi, sushi and raw fish. The 10.5 inches thin blade allows you to glide through any type of fish without applying pressure. The knife is specifically designed for slicing and should not be used for chopping.
The black ebony wooden handle is not only comfortable to hold for long, but also gives this knife an attractive appearance and an elegant visual experience. Its octagonal design enhances the grip and greatly increasing the gripping comfort. All these aspects combine to provide a handle that is hard, tough and highly durable. Lastly, this top Japanese slicing knife comes with a lifetime manufacturer warranty.
Pros of the TUO Yanagiba 10.5 Inch Slicing Knife
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Beautiful Damascus steel patterns that are unique to each knife
- Resists stains and corrosion
- Incredibly sharp blade with a top edge retention
- High HRC rating
- Top grade black ebony handle that is comfortable to hold even for an extended period
- 10.5-inch thin blade to allow to glide any type of meat and fish without applying too much pressure
Cons of the TUO Yanagiba 10.5 Inch Slicing Knife
- Although comfortable, the handle felt just a bit flimsy
Cangshan J Series 62793 Japan VG-10 Forged Sashimi 12-inch Chef Knife
The Cangshan J Series 62793 Japan VG-10 Forged Sashimi 12-inch Chef Knife is top rated Japanese knife. The 12-inch knife is ideal for slicing all kinds of fish and meat. The knife is easy to sharpen and maintain its incredible sharpness for long. It boasts a core comprising VG-10 steel accompanied by 33 layers of Damascus steel on each side, totaling to 66.
The J series slicing knife has bevel angle of 16 degrees so that it remains razor sharp for long. This makes even sharper than German slicing knives that are sharpened to angle of 20 to 22 degrees. Each blade undergoes a six stage heat treatment process to enhance its toughness, hardness and durability.
Just like Sashimi Sushi Japanese Damascus Stainless Steel TUO Yanagiba 10.5 Inch Slicing Knife, this slicing knife is built with comfort in mind. The handle is African Blackwood handle to increase the balance of the knife while providing exceptional comfort to any professional chef. The knife also features a magnetic Saya style sheath made from dark Walnut wood that protects the blade.
The Cangshan J Series 62793 Japan VG-10 Forged Sashimi 12-inch Chef Knife features a stainless steel bolster enhances ergonomic qualities for highest safety and control. The full tang ensures that the knife is well balanced while the half bolster design makes it easy to sharpen the blade from the tip to the back edge.
Pros of the Cangshan J Series Sashimi 12-inch Chef Knife
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60 to 62
- VG-10 super steel holds an incredibly sharp cutting edge for long
- The 12-inch blade makes the knife ideal for a wide range of slicing tasks
- The handle is made ultra dense African Blackwood handle for maximum comfort and control
- Full tang to ensure the knife is well balanced
- Half bolster enhances ergonomic qualities for highest safety and control
- Each blade is hand sharpened to a 16 degrees for razor sharpness
Cons of the Cangshan J Series Sashimi 12-inch Chef Knife
- It is not dishwasher safe
- It can break easily if dropped
Global 12-Inch Yanagi Sashimi Sushi Knife
The Global 12-Inch Yanagi Sashimi Sushi Knife is made to the highest standards just like any other Global kitchen knives. The knife is crafted from Cromova 18 stainless steel which gives it a perfect combination of vanadium, molybdenum and chromium. This gives it long lasting razor sharpness that also resists corrosion and stains. Just like other Global kitchen knives, the sushi knife is carefully weighted to ensure perfect balance and performance of each slice.
What makes the Global Yanagi Sashimi knife unique is its seamless construction: the handle and the knife are all one piece. This gives the knife a contemporary appearance but also ticks the box for food safety and hygiene. The knife is lightweight with it having a hollow handle and a thin blade. The lightweight helps to minimize fatigue and makes the knife easier to handle. The thin blade makes it easy to cut very thin slices of fish. In addition, it helps to preserve the flavor and integrity of what you are cutting, which is especially essential when working with raw fish for sushi dishes.
The hollow handle of this slicing knife is filled with sand to achieve the desired weight and deliver a perfect balance. The blade is angled on one side and is flat on the other side to allow sharper and more precision slicing and cutting from one side of the blade. It is ice tempered and hardened to Rockwell rating of 56 to 58 degrees.
Pros of the Global 12-Inch Yanagi Sashimi Sushi Knife
- Ice tempered and hardened to Rockwell rating of 56 to 58 degrees
- Perfectly balanced knives provide optimal control
- Ergonomic stainless steel hygienic handle with signature dimple patter to provide a slip resistant comfortable grip
- Made from Cromova 18 stainless steel
- Hollow handle filled with sand for enhanced balanced
Cons of the Global 12-Inch Yanagi Sashimi Sushi Knife
- Vanadium/ molybdenum stainless steel is lightweight, but tends to need more frequent sharpening
- The blade is not as sharp as some of the of the other top rated Japanese chef knives
Yoshihiro NSW 46 Layers Hammered Damascus Japanese Sushi Sashimi 9.5 Inch Knife
Yoshihiro is known for crafting some of the best Japanese sushi sashimi knives. Even though it is costly, the Yoshihiro NSW Sushi Sashimi 9.5 Inch Knife is well worth it in terms of quality. Featuring 46 layers of flower Damascus steel folded over VG 10 super steel, this sushi knife has a Rockwell rating of 60. The knife is complimented with a traditional Japanese style hand crafted Shitan Rosewood handles. The knife comes with a natural Magnolia wooden sheath, known as a Saya to protect the knife and enhance its appearance when it is not use.
Each knife is handcrafted by Yoshihiro master artisans to create a unique one kind of art. The blade has a hammered texture to eliminate friction and prevent food from sticking on the blade. With a Rockwell hardness of 60, you can rest assured that this slicing knife will perform exceptionally well and will maintain its razor sharp cutting edge for long.
The 46 layers of super steel give this knife excellent stain and rust resistance properties as well as enhanced strength and durability. The wooden octagonal handle is affixed with a double bolster to increase balance and ensure maximum comfort. The knife only weighs 15.2 ounces, making ideal for slicing via any kind of fish and meat. The blade is designed to carve and fabricate the fish, big roasts and other meats. You can also use it for slicing other ingredients such as cucumbers or smoked salmons.
Pros of the Yoshihiro NSW Sushi Sashimi 9.5 Inch Knife
- Rockwell hardness of 60
- 9.5 inch thin to glide any type of meat and fish without applying too much pressure
- Traditional Japanese style hand crafted Shitan Rosewood handle
- 46 layers of flower Damascus steel folded over VG 10 super steel
- Easy and safe to use
- Lightweight and well balanced
- Limited manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Yoshihiro NSW Sushi Sashimi 9.5 Inch Knife
- Comes with a reasonably higher cost price; however, this compensated for by the many features and capability of the knife.
- Dishwasher safer but needs to be hand washed
Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch Slicing Knife
Crafted using the finest materials available, the Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch Slicing Knife is one of the top rated slicing knives on the market today. Both the handle and blade are crafted from the most precious materials, which explain their appealing appearance. The 9-inch blade is slim and has a fine cutting edge to slice all kinds of meats and fish either raw or cooked in any thickness you want.
Enthusiastic home cooks and professional chefs will find this slicing knife from Miyabi also ideal for carving roasted turkeys or chicken and slicing via skin and fresh-like warmed butter. Just like other Miyabi SG2 kitchen knives, this knife is perfectly balanced, lightweight and versatile.
The knife boasts a lovely Damascus pattern on the blade that elegantly showcases the 101 layers of steel, 50 layers on each side of the blade and an SG2 micro carbide powder steel core sandwiched between the layers. The SG2 micro powder steel core is hard enough to enhance the durability and functionality of the knife. The blade is ice hardened using the CRYDUR process to increase its strength and efficiency. Each knife has a Rockwell hardness rating of 63. The CRYDUR hardening process helps to increase rust and corrosion resistance properties of the blade.
A D-shaped Karelian Birchwood is fitted to the knife using a mosaic pin, accented with two red spaced and a steel cap. The D-shape allows you to use the knife smoothly and efficiently regardless of how tall you are or which hand you cut with.
Pros of the Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch Slicing Knife
- Made of SG2 micro carbide steel for increase blade strength, flexibility and longevity
- Hand honed using the tradition 3-step Japanese Honbazuke method
- Traditional D-shaped handle for enhanced comfort and control
- Blade hardened using the CRYDUR process, giving it a Rockwell Hardness Rating of 63
- 9-inch slim blade to slice through all kinds of meats and fish
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Beautiful Damascus flower pattern showcases 101 layers of steel
Cons of the Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9-Inch Slicing Knife
- Retails at considerably a high price when compared to other slicing knives. However, this is due to its many unique features
- Not dishwasher safe
Best Carving Knife on the Market Today
DALSTRONG 9-inch Carving Knife and Fork Set ( Gladiator Series)
The DALSTRONG 9-inch Carving Knife and Fork Set is beautifully forged and easy to use. The blades are made from ThyssenKrupp German steel and sharpened to an incredibly sharp edge that allows you to carve thin slice. The set comes with a carving fork that makes cutting through meat faster and easier. The cutting edge is sharpened at 18 degrees, making even sharper than western carving knives that are sharpened at 20 to 22 degrees.
The gorgeous, long and slim blade only weighs 221 grams, making it easy to carve thin slices. It feels strong and perfectly weighted. The butt and bolster form two chunks of steel that counterbalance the blade perfectly, despite its width and length. The blade curves gently towards the spine, giving this knife a dagger-like shape. It forms an S-shape, which allows the blade to bed into meat much more easily. The long narrow Granton dimples give the unmistakable sight of a thinning blade as it heads towards the tip. The granton edges create small air spaces that prevent food from sticking on the sides.
The Kukri style handle is beautifully shaped and feels comfortable in handle. It is made laminated Pakkawood making it aesthetically pleasing and durable. It lacks the rigid and ergonomic construction present in most knives today. The bolster not only balances the knife but also enhances safety for the user. The shape of the handle means you will only be pushing against the bolster with your index finger and not towards the blade.
Pros of the DALSTRONG 9-inch Carving and Fork Set
- The set contains a 9-inch carving knife, Perfect Fit Dalstrong sheath, Dalstrong honing rod and Dalstrong fork
- Granton edge to reduce friction and prevent food from sticking on the blade
- Full tang to increase balance
- 18 degrees cutting edge for incredible sharpness and maximum resilience
- Tapered blade design for hardness and flexibility
- Precision forged high carbon ThyssenKrupp German steel with a Rockwell hardness rating of 55
- Triple riveted laminated Pakkawood handle for enhanced beauty, strength and durability
- Stainless steel end cap for increased balance and distinction
- Handle shape allows for a comfortable grip and easy maneuverability
- Affordably priced
- High end gift packaging
- Instruction booklet
- 100 percent satisfaction and guaranteed money back guarantee
Cons of the DALSTRONG 9-inch Carving and Fork Set
- The only con is that you don’t have it in your kitchen
Zwilling Pro 8-Inch Carving Knife
Designed by architect and designer Mateo Thun, the Zwilling Pro 8-Inch Carving Knife is one of the most user-friendly knives on the market. The knife features a unique blade shape and ergonomic bolster. The ergonomic and uniqueness of this knife is a result of 280 years of experience in knife making. Just like other Zwilling knives, the Pro 8-inch carving knife has the famous Zwilling J.A. Heckles logo that is a symbol of superior quality to professional chefs worldwide.
The Zwilling Pro 8-Inch Carving Knives are forged using the SigmaForge process and ice hardened using the FRIODUR process to produce a hard sharp blade and improve resistance to corrosion. Each knife is hand sharpened, polished and laser controlled to produce an incredibly sharp edge. The half bolster and wedge shaped blade enables you to cut along the entire length of the blade. The curved bolster prevents your thumb from slipping to the blade and also provides for an extra firm grip and comfort.
The knife comes with a full tang and a triple riveted handle for maximum comfort and long lasting use. It is precision forged from a single piece of special formula high carbon German stainless steel to guarantee optimal hardness, durability and corrosion resistant. The blade is long and slender to make thin precise slices. With a full tang and a triple-riveted handle, the Zwilling Pro 8-Inch Carving Knife is suitable for both professional and beginner chefs as well as experienced home cooks.
Pros of the Zwilling Pro 8-Inch Carving Knives
- The triple-riveted handle is comfortable, strong, durable, smooth, hygienic and perfectly balanced
- Precision honed and laser controlled cutting edge that is incredibly sharp
- Arched bolster design features a soft transition to the blade that gives the knife optional balance and the safety to the user
- Unique wedge-shaped blade design allows for easy cutting and maximum stability
- Well balance, the weight makes it easy to cut thin slices
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Zwilling Pro 8-Inch Carving Knives
- Some cooks complained that the handle was too straight, long and wide for them
- The handle is a bit hard to grip when wet
Wusthof Classic Ikon Carving 9-inch
The Wusthof Classic Ikon Carving 9-inch Knife is an incredibly effective carving knife. It is strikingly beautiful and incredibly sharp. The blade is forged a single piece of high carbon German stainless steel for enhanced toughness, hardness and durability. It is hand polished by master artisan to deliver carve thin slices of meat easily.
The steel of this knife extends all the way to handle, otherwise known as a full tang. This provides a boost of control and reduces chances of breakages. The new Precision Edge Technology ensures that the cutting is 20 percent sharper than other common knives and lasts twice as long. Just like other Wusthof Classic Ikon knives, the blade is laser controlled to ensure that the final cutting edge is uniform and precise from the heels to the tip of the knife.
Due to the absence of a bolster, the thicker part of the blade leads up to the handle, meaning you can carve your meat with the entire blade length of the knife. The knife is sharpened to angle of 14 degrees, meaning its razor sharp. The triple riveted handle is made of a smooth plastic and uniquely shaped to fit comfortably into any hand and prevent slippage either to the side further towards the blade.
Pros of the Wusthof Classic Ikon Carving 9-inch Knife
- Rockwell hardness rating of 58
- Forged from a single piece of high carbon German steel for enhanced durability, toughness and hardness
- Cutting edge is laser controlled for increased precision, uniformity and sharpness
- POM handle is triple- riveted for enhanced durability.
- Handle uniquely shaped for increased comfort, control and safety
- Imported from Germany
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Wusthof Classic Ikon 9-inch Carving Knives
- Though it is dishwasher safer, the manufacturer strongly advises against it
Wusthof Classic Ikon Hollow Edge Carving Set with Walnut Case
The Wusthof Classic Ikon Hollow Edge Carving Knives are some of the top rated carving knives on the market today. It is specially forged from a single piece of high carbon German Stainless steel. The knife boasts a full tang to add balance and weight. The cutting sharpened to angle of 14 degrees per side, using the new Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) to provide exceptional cutting performance and superior long lasting sharpness.
The blade is the laser controlled to make sure it is uniform from the tip to the heel of the knife. Just like other Wusthof slicing knives, the Classic Ikon Hollow Edge Carving knife has a tapered cutting edge on each side to reduce drag when slicing via foods.
The blade is forged from materials, such as chromium, carbon, molybdenum and vanadium for enhanced sharpness, toughness, hardness and durability. It has a Rockwell hardness rating of 58 and strongly resists stains and corrosion. Just like other Classic Ikon knives, this slicing knife comes with an ergonomic handle with the three-riveted design for enhanced comfort and durability. The handle is uniquely shaped to prevent your hands from slipping to the blade while carving foods.
Pros of the Wusthof Classic Ikon Hollow Edge Carving Knife
- Uniquely shaped handle to fit in the user’s hand perfectly
- High Quality materials to ensure the knife’s durability
- Ergonomic handle design developed in consultation with professional chefs
- Cutting edge sharpened using the new PEtec technology for increased razor sharpness
- Full tang that is triple riveted to the handle for precise control
- Stunning design developed after consultation with chefs
- The long, slender blade allows for exceptionally smooth carving of thin slices of meat
- Granton edge reduce friction and create small air spaces that prevent food from sticking on the blade
- Lifetime limited manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Wusthof Classic Ikon Hollow Edge Carving Knives
- The plastic handle is not ideal for extended use
Shun DMS 200 Classic 2-Piece Boxed Carving Set
The Shun DMS 200 Classic 2-Piece Boxed Carving Set is one of the most comprehensive steel series world. It is highly trusted by top class chefs and experienced home cooks for its outstanding unique features. Just like other Japanese knives, the Shun DMS 200 carving knife is made from Damascus steel with 32 layers, 16 on each side.
The outer core is made from V-Gold-10 steel which is extremely hard and resistant to stains and corrosions. This gives the blade incredible sharpness that is second to none. The knife comes with a double bevel edge, making extremely razor sharp. The cutting edge is sharpened to an angle of 16 degrees, which is considerably higher than Western knives. The blade has a Rockwell hardness rating of 61, making it incredibly tough and hard. It is precision forged in Japan, by the famous knife manufacturer KAI
Pros of the Shun DMS 200 Classic 2-Piece Boxed Carving Set
- Lightweight, well balanced carving knife
- The set includes an 8-inch knife and a two-pronged carving fork
- Carving fork to keep the meat stable so you can create thin, even slices
- VG-10 stainless core and a Rockwell hardness rating of 60 to 61
- 16 layers of beautiful Damascus steel on each side of the blade for flexibly and strength
- Blade is resistance to stains, corrosions and is very easy to maintain
- The Pakkawood handle is D-shaped to fit comfortably in any hand and keep the knife handle secure in hand during use
- The Damascus flower patterns enhance the beauty of the knife and create small air spaces that reduce friction and prevent food from sticking on the blade
- NSF certified for use in residential and commercial kitchens
- Lifetime limited manufacturer warranty
Cons of the Shun DMS 200 Classic 2-Piece Boxed Carving Set
- It comes with a considerably high price, but this is due to its many amazing features and capabilities
Having a good slicing and carving knife in your kitchen can really mean a lot. Our list of the best carving and slicing knife contains only the top rated and trusted knives worldwide. In order to find you these knives, we sorted through a large number of brands, knife lines and features. We gave prominence not based on brand recognition or price, but the quality of construction required to make a durable, comfortable, incredibly sharp and well balanced slicing and carving knife.