The Bowie machete is one style of 11 popular types of machetes on the market today. This article is part of a series in which we try to explain which is the best machete for different uses by comparing all types. Make sure you also check out the Kukri, Parang, Golok, Panga, Latin, Billhook, Cane, Barong, Bolo and Tapanga machetes in order to have a complete view of all that’s out there.
What is a Bowie Machete?
A Bowie machete is a type of a machete that boasts a skinner tip or a clip point for skinning wild game. Bowie machetes are named after the American Frontiersman Jim Bowie. They are believed to have originated from the United States and they are commonly used by backwoodsman and survivalists. Bowie machetes are also known as Wilderness machetes, Survival Machetes or Large Bowie Knives.
Since their introduction, different brands have designed them in several types. However, all Bowie machetes nearly look like a combination of the popular Bowie knife and a machete. They all have a pointed ultra-sharp tip that makes them perfect for survival situations.
Bowie machetes are one of the best survival blades and are they are widely used by hunters and outdoorsmen. The original Bowie hunting machetes have a sharp and durable seven stainless steel blade that makes them ideal for camping, executing bush craft among other activities.
Though the blade is very light, it is also very powerful blade. The over-molded rubber handle of the Bowie machetes ensure a soft, comfortable and secure grip regardless of the conditions. The machetes also come with a belt loop for quick hanging. Here is a detailed review of the Best Bowie Machetes on the market.
Top Bowie Machetes on Amazon
Rambo 16.5-Inch Full Tang
The Rambo 16.5-Inch Full Tang Bowie Machete is a famous replica of the famous Rambo movie knife. The machete comes with a 10.25 blade length with the Rambo logo printed on it. The built quality is excellent with a high polished 440 stainless steel, full tang beautiful real wood handle and a nylon sheath with a belt loop.
The blade for the Rambo Bowie is made with the 440 stainless steel for incredible sharpness and excellent rust and corrosion resistance properties. The blade also features a real saw mounted on its back as well as Bowie clip point.
The 440 stainless steel blade can handle heavy duty tasks, making perfect for survivalists, hunters, soldiers and campers. With an actual blade length of 10 inches and a thickness of 1/4 inch, the Rambo machete can perform a wide range of cutting tasks without injuring your hands. The major portion of the blade is pasted black color to prevent the blade from corrosion and rust.
The Rambo machete with 16.5-Inch and a Full Tang comes with a gorgeous solid wood with a stainless steel guard and hilt. The three rivets on the handle ensure that it is properly affixed to the blade. The handle is ergonomically designed to ensure maximum comfort as well as firm grip. It is slightly curved at the end to prevent the machete from slipping out of your hands during use.
The Rambo 16.5-Inch Full Tang Bowie also comes with a well-built high quality nylon sheath with a belt loop for safe storage and transportation.
Pros & Cons of the Rambo 16.5-Inch Full Tang
- Hand forged to ensure highest possible quality and precision
- Blade is made with 440 stainless steel for razor-like sharpness
- Blade is light and portable, but also very powerful to cut basically anything
- It is medium blade length and lightweight makes the machete easy to carry around
- The 440 stainless steel blade is easy to sharpen
- Comes with a tactical sheath and belt loop for safe storage and transportation
- Ergonomically designed wooden handle is comfortable to hold and provides a firm grip
- Excellent corrosion and rust resistant properties
- Three rivets ensure that the wooden handle is firmly attached to the blade
- Not as sharp as most users would have liked
- Not ideal for clearing vegetation
Uncle Henry 181UH Bowie Machete
The Uncle Henry 181UH Bowie Machete is a beast of epic proportions. It comes with a 10-inch blade made with 7Cr17MoV stainless steel for a razor-like sharpness and excellent corrosion and rust properties. The clip point blade extends down into the beautiful Staglon handle forming a sturdy full tang machete. The high carbon stainless Bowie blade is strong enough to perform heavy duty tasks while retains its razor-like sharpness.
The full tang not only enhances the robustness of the machete but also increases its longevity. The grooved grip and protruding pommel as well as the nickel silver guard helps to keep the machete secure in your hands when you are busy using it to tear fresh.
The handle is made from Staglon for a firm and a comfortable grip. The handle also boasts a nickel silver guard and beautiful brass rivets that ensure the handle is firmly affixed to the blade. It also comes with a heavy duty sheath for safe storage and transportation.
Pros & Cons of the Uncle Henry 181UH
- Blade is made with 7Cr17MoV high carbon stainless steel blade for maximum strength, durability and long lasting sharpness
- Staglon handle with a nickel silver guard for enhanced comfort and safe
- The nylon sheath provides a safe place to store your blade
- 3 brass Rivets ensure the handle is firmly affixed to the blade
- Full tang construction for maximum strength
- Well balanced machete
- Some users complain that the blade breaks easily if used to cut wood
- Poorly designed but very strong sheath
Cold Steel 97BWM12S Bowie Machete
The Cold Steel 97BWM12S Bowie Machete is a perfect option for those looking for an affordable bowie. The blade of this stunning machete is forged from 1055 high carbon steel for maximum strength and longevity. It also features a tough black baked on Rust Resistant finish and ha a razor like sharpness.
But, the blade also boasts an ultra-sharp tip that will penetrate just about anything that comes into its way. This makes it not only a slashing blade, but also an excellent piercing tool. The Cold Steel 97BWM12S Machete boasts a long Polypropylene handle that is comfortable to hold and provides a firm grip. The extension at the end of the handle prevents the machete from slipping out of hand while in use.
Pros & Cons of the Cold Steel 97BWM12S
- Lightweight, only ways 14.3 oz, making it easy to carry around
- Blade is made with 1055 High carbon steel for maximum strength and durability
- The blade features black backed on Anti Rust Matte Finish
- The blade is 2.8mm thick making it ideal for heavy duty tearing tasks
- Ergonomic Long polypropylene handle is comfortable to hold
- Comes with a sheath for safe storage
- Less than decent handle
- Some users complained the machete was awkwardly designed